In my previous post, we discussed what Tunisian Crochet is. I had mentioned that the best first project to start with when learning how to Tunisian crochet is the Simple Tunisian washcloth.
Sometimes Tunisian crocheting can be a little challenging to start learning. The reason for this is because it’s just different than what you are used to. You will find that Tunisian crocheting “eats” more yarn than traditional crochet. While it requires more yarn to complete a project, you will notice the fabric texture is completely different. It’s a lot more dense than traditional crochet. Thus, making a GREAT washcloth!
- Crafter’s Secret Cotton–available at Hobby Lobby
- 6.5 Afghan Hook
- Large eyed blunt needle
- Chain 17 using your Afghan hook
- work a foundation row: insert hook into back loop of chain, yarn over, pull up loop, now insert hook into the next back loop of chain and do this all the way across. You should have 18 loops on your afghan hook
- work a return pass: yarn over, pull through first loop. *Yarn over, pull through 2 loops* repeat until you have 1 loop left at the end.
- working forward pass: identify the vertical lines in your work. skip the first vertical line. Insert your hook through the 2nd vertical line, your hook should remain in the front of your work, yarn over and pull up loop. Repeat across. Make sure to keep count, you should have 18 loops on your afghan hook at the end
- work return pass
- work forward pass
Rows 7-17: alternate working forward pass and return pass.
Binding off: Insert your hook through the 2nd vertical line, pull up a loop, yarn over and pull through both loops on hook. Repeat across.
Tie off and weave in all ends. You’ve completed your first Tunisian crochet project! How’s it feel?
If your work curls at the ends, there are a couple of options to fix this.
- Loosen your tension while working.
- Hand wash your item in COLD water and then lay flat and block. For blocking you may use a foam square and some T-pins.
Stay tuned for the upcoming blog post for a complete Valentine’s Bath set that is super quick and easy that it only requires 1 skein and can be done in under an hour’s time!